Thechwani or thichoni is a popular and one of the tastiest traditional food of Uttarakhand. It is prepared by squashing potatoes and radish(aloo mooli) with a grinding stone. The classic combination of Potato and Radish along with sauteed onions and tomatoes gives this dish a perfect taste. It is the comforting food of all the pahadis.
THECHWANI OR THICHONI RECIPE
- Radish – 1-2
- Potato – 1-2
- Garlic – 4-5 cloves
- Ginger – accordingly
- Onion – 1
- Tomatoes – 2
- Red Chilies – 1-2
- Coriander Powder – 1 tbs
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
- Red Chili Powder – 1/2 tbs
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Salt – accordingly
- Oil – 2 tbs
- (you could also add 1/2 tbs crushed yellow mustard seeds to elevate the taste, but don’t add too much as it bitters the taste.)
- Wash and peel the radish and potato
- With the help of a grinding stone (sil batta), bash the radish and potato. (you can also bash it with the help of belan(roller) which is easily available).
- In a karahi, heat the oil and add asafoetida.
- Then add chopped onions and fry till golden brown.
- Next, add ginger and garlic and fry for one more minute.
- Now, it’s time to add the chopped tomatoes.
- Cook till soft.
- Add coriander, turmeric, red chili powder, salt and fry for a minute.
- You can add water if it sticks to the bottom.
- Now add the vegetables.
- Fry again for 2 minutes.
- Now add water to adjust the thickness of the gravy.
- It is ready now. Enjoy with your family and friends.