Any celebration feels incomplete without a sweet dish. As the name suggests ‘meetha’, this dish is a sweet prepared with rice. It is very popular in Uttarakhand.
This sticky, delicious, nutritious dish is the part of the meal people eagerly wait for. Pahadi weddings especially have ‘meetha bhaat’ on the menu. Traditional pahadi events do not have a buffet system even until now. People sit down with a leaf-like plate called a ‘pattal’, and they are served with the food. Meetha bhaat is also made at the time of ‘Basant Panchami’, to welcome the spring season.
Meetha Bhaat Recipe (for 2)
- Rice – 1 1\2 cup
- Ghee – 4 tbs
- Fennel seeds – 1tsp
- Jaggery – 1 cup powdered or take accordingly
- Dry fruits (optional) – 1 cup sliced(coconut,almonds, cashew
- Soak rice in water for 20 minutes.
- Take a pressure cooker or any heavy-bottomed pan.
- Add ghee and then add the fennel seeds(sauf).
- Now, add rice stir fry for 2-3 minutes on medium flame.
- In a bowl add the powdered jaggery and water.
- Add it to the cooker.
- Again stir fry for 2 minutes.
- At last, add the dry fruits and place the lid.
- Make sure it has sufficient liquid otherwise it will stick to the bottom.
- Wait for 3-4 whistles or if cooking in an open pan wait for 30 minutes.
- It is ready now. Take it out on a plate and garnish with more dry fruits.