Manchurian is an Indian origin recipe, with Chinese influence. It was invented by Nelson Wang, a Chinese descent when he was working in a restaurant in Kolkata. The dish he created was Chicken Manchurian. Later on, the vegetarian version of Manchurian was created with vegetables. It can be eaten dry or with gravy. The sauces will make a blast of flavours in your mouth.
Recipe (for 2)
For Manchurian balls
- Minced vegetables (cabbage, carrot, beans, capsicum, onion) – 4-5 cups
- Spring onion – 1/2 cup
- Ginger – 1 tsp
- Garlic – 1 tsp
- Refined flour(maida) – 2 tbsp
- Corn flour – 2 tbsp
- Oil – for frying
For Manchurian sauce
- Onion – 1 diced
- Ginger – 2 tbsp
- Garlic – 2 tbsp
- Spring onion – 2 tbsp
- Tomato ketchup – 2 tbsp
- Chilly Sauce – 2 tbsp
- Soy sauce 1 tsp
- Vinegar – 1 tsp
- Black Pepper – 1 tsp
- Salt – accordingly
- Corn flour – 3 tbsp
- Instant munchurian mix (optional)
To prepare the balls
- First, take a large bowl and add the vegetables, refined flour, cornflour, ginger, garlic, and soy sauce.
- Add very little water to make a soft dough.
- Now make the balls, and fry them in the oil till golden brown.
To prepare the sauce
- Take a bowl and mix all the sauces. Keep aside.
- Take another bowl and add the cornflour. Add a little water to make a smooth paste. keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan or wok, and add onion, ginger, garlic, spring onions, and capsicum.
- Stir fry for a minute on medium to high flame.
- Now, add the mixture of all the sauces and stir.
- You can also add the instant Manchurian mix powder to elevate the taste.
- Next, add the cornflour and adjust the water according to your need(you can add less water to make the sauce and add more water to make the gravy.
- Let it boil.
- At last, add the Manchurian balls.
- The dish is ready. Serve it with Hakka noodles or Fried rice.