Chaisaa is also known as ‘chaisuu’, this gravy is prepared with black gram lentil (sabut urad ki daal). It is a very quick recipe and in winters it gives immense warmness.
This pahadi delicacy is irresistible. Once you eat it, you would want to eat it over and over again. It is slightly green. There are some basic pahadi spices used to maintain the authenticity of the dish. A dollop of ghee on the top would take it to next level. Traditionally it is ground in grinding stone (sil batta), but if it is not available do not hesitate to use a grinder.
Chaisaa recipe (for 2)
- Black gram(urad dal) – 1 1\2 cup ground in mixer
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Garlic – 4-5 cloves
- Dry red chilies – 2
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Coriander powder – 1 tbs
- Chilli powder – 1\2 tbs
- Turmeric powder – 1\2 tbs
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – acc. to the requirement
- Add oil in a karahi and then add the ground lentil. Roast till it turns golden brown.
- Take another karahi and heat the oil.
- Add the asafoetida, mustard seeds, and dry red chilis.
- Next, add garlic and wait till it turns golden brown.
- Then add the roasted lentil.
- Again roast for 2 minutes on medium to low flame.
- Add all the powdered spices, salt, mix well, and at last add warm water according to your need.
- Let it boil on a low flame for 20-30 minutes.
- Add a dollop of ghee on the top and it is ready to serve.